Here are photos of the complete Rivendell Sam Hillborne build. I took it out for a spin today. It’s a great ride, especially with the double top tubes. The frame is pretty much near perfect for me and much stiffer over the single tube version in a 60cm size. In the photos, you notice a unique way to mount shimano deerhead shifters to the stem. The front bag is a vintage leather camera bag that I added supports to adapter to the rack. Steel supports were welded to the nitto racks and the racks were powder coated. A bracket was fabricated for the rear light.
The advantage of having a mill, lathe and welder is that each machine can contribute to make parts to repair themselves. Since getting the mill, I discovered some parts needed to be custom built for repairs. This is a modification of the quill lever which needed a couple dimension changes and a new circle hole pattern. Holes were filled in with a welder, turned down on the lathe and new holes drilled on the mill.
Having had my fill in dead generators due to bad gas during hurricane season, I went for a propane conversion. This system allows the generator to run from BBQ propane tanks. The advantage is that the propane can be stored without expiration. The system is dual fuel, so I can switch back to gasoline with a switch if I wanted to.
The mill rebuild project that I had been working on has taken too long. I would spend way too much time and money to build up a mill that would have less capability than a bridgeport. However, I learned exactly what I needed to get through this rebuild for the next machine. After months of shopping, I found a mill that was in the condition and price that seemed attractive enough to get. It is a Kondia/Clausing FV-1. This mill is a bridgeport copy from spain. However, the quality of this seems to be up to the level of a bridgeport. It seemed moderately used and had a powerfeed and DRO. Most importantly, it ran smooth and the ways were tight and smooth in all directions. The ways were also hardened. Its not perfect. I had to replace the quill spring and add a VFD. The power feed for the quill needed repair already. But its getting there and at the moment will not require a complete teardown. I want to start making chips, not repair machines.