Mill spindle rebuild
Time to turn these pile of parts into the mill. I started reassembling the mill head. The spring was too short and never worked to retract the spindle. I lengthen it by welding a drill bit to the end. I then extended the housing by turning a piece of steel and welding it to the fixture. This allowed the extended spring to be supported. I reassembled it and it made solved the design problem of the spring snapping out of position.
The spindle bearings we’re not serviced, they turned smooth and I didn’t want to bother pressing them out. The top pulley bearings were in bad shape. I used Zep purple,to degrease them. Zep puerile is my new favorite degreaser, it cuts through everything. I then soaked it in wd40 and spin the bearings with compressed air. That finally cleaned the really well. They were packed with some very high quality grease from Mobil that I got as free samples from a power industry trade show.
I found out that my mill is actually an 8 x 30 mill, not a 6 x 26 and an older design than the latest 8 x 30 mills. I am not sure if this is better or not to the new designs, but I do know it is a taiwanese model.